Saturday, April 23, 2011

Banner challenge

I have just come back from a week's holiday, and had a lovely day catching up with some friends.  The men fished, the kids played (not fought all day!!) and the women did craft!! Kath gave me a stamping magazine that she had two of.  In the spirit of my motto, "focus on what inspires you to create . . ." I have decided to set myself some challenges from this magazine and milk it for everything it is worth.  I have written myself a list of about a dozen ideas to try, mostly from this mag, but also from a couple I have borrowed from the library.  It helped to have an article on 5 ways to get your mojo back, and another on using your scraps!
So, my first challenge (and feel free to play along too)
was to make a page using the current trend of banners.  Here's what I set myself:
  • Use a banner on the page, 
  • Other than the base cardstock, use only scraps from my small scraps box*
  • use a minimum of other embellishments from my stash.


this page on Christmas 2006 for my daughter's album is what I came up with.  Other than scraps, I only used punches, alphabet stamps and a bit of ribbon.
easy and fun!  The bright colours really make it.








* A note on my scraps organization:  I have always been one to keep the smallest of scraps, and the collection has grown . .. and grown . . . I currently keep scraps in two different places, depending on their size, and divided according to colour. 
My smaller scraps are kept together in a box, up to a maximum of about 19 x 12 cm.  This is the go-to spot for cards, punching etc, and slips into a drawer when it isn't on my desk.  all the bits for this page came from here.




The other place for my larger scraps is a folder I made out of page protectors.(ones from a cheaper, older album that aren't quite 12")  Some I have cut in half and zigzagged one and a half together in a co-ordinating colour to make pockets.  I have added appropriate coloured ribbon as a tab on each pocket.  The whole thing is held together by rings.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for our tips! I love collecting the smallest scrap paper myself. Glad to find a new friend with the same interest! Throw less, craft more! LOL.

    ReplyDelete