Friday, August 8, 2014

Me, attempting to go all mixed-media!

. . . and pages 7 to 9 of my Silhouette challenge.

Can you think of any Scrapbookers out there that you love . . . but your style is nothing like theirs?  I can't get enough of the beautiful Mixed Media work of artists like Wilna Furstenberg and Ashli Oliver . . . but my own work tends towards the Clean And Simple.  I had to have stern words with myself when my local Scrapbooking Shop offered a pre-order discount on gelatos . . . I don't use the media I already own any way near enough to buy any more, no matter how beautiful they are!

But I thought that my Silhouette challenge I've given myself might just be the perfect time to take some inspiration from those lovely ladies I've just mentioned, and see what I can come up with . . . 
(supplies from a range of past Counterfeit Kits, as well as my stash)


This page started with one of the scrap paper backgrounds that I gessoed a couple of months ago.  I tried adding a bit of extra dimension with some stamping, as well as misting over a mask (white mist, so it's a bit hard to see!) Then I went to town with white die-cuts!  I decided it needed a little bit more, so I added paper flowers and kindy glitz, as I was using these quite a bit at the same this photo was taken, so in that respect it will sit quite well chronologically in the album.  Does it look better, worse, or just confused?  I'm not really sure!



This one I am sure about - I absolutely love it!I started out by covering a thin sheet of white card-stock with gesso.  Once it had dried, I used my Inktense pencils, then added enough water to get some flow.  The pencils certainly didn't apply in that beautiful way that I've seen gelatos used, but once there was enough water, I was still plenty happy with the results.  Die-cuts on this page include the kraft "journey" card, vellum doilies and white leaf sprays which I also used Inktense pencils on (note to self, thin white card-stock on its own doesn't cope with watercolour so well, try Wilna's idea of cutting from watercolour paper, or use a drier method of adding colour next time!)



Ok, so this one isn't mixed media, but it is page 9 of my Silhouette challenge, and there is a funny story that goes with it!  Maddy was hanging around as I was doing some work on the computer, and I suggest that she choose some shapes that went with this photo.  She chose an owl with glasses.  I had cut a bunch of owl shapes for a previous Counterfeit Kit, some made up and some still in pieces.  The problem was, I didn't have a piece for the body in a colour that matched the page.  Maddy's solution?  Cut one out. . . 

With scissors. . . .

Oh.  That was easy, wasn't it?


Some of you have been sharing that you're working on your own stash-busting challenges, which always makes me so happy to hear!   If you're not, I dare you to try!

10 comments:

  1. I also find the mixed media a challenge, but love their creations. Your layouts are beautiful.
    Cindy F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your life is a journey layout.
    I also spent ages staring at your background photo - such a lot of rainbow coloured goodness!
    :)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful mixed media pages!! Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you did a fabulous job of those pages, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic layouts - love the owl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you realise you've done more scrap book pages featuring my children than I have? You're putting me to shame! Maybe I should just photocopy them and put them together in an album. I love the butterfly at the back of the photo, beautiful pages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such different pages and yet they all share the same flair from your die-cutting. Great scrapping here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your layouts! I have a *slight* weakness for both owls and books, so to say I love that particular layout is an understatement lol. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My attempts at mixed media are 'texture paste' and that's pretty much it, your layouts are absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute layouts I agree on the mix media it's a challenge for me too :) But your layouts turned out great :)

    ReplyDelete