Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mid year review

It's been six months since I started this blog and the "spend less craft more" project, and also the last night of the school holidays, which seems to me to be a good time to do a mid-year review.  when I first started out, my goals were simple:
  • spend no more than $5 a week
To date I have spent $116.91, or just over 23 weeks' worth of the budget!  When I first conceived this plan, I thought this was going to be like cutting off all my major limbs, then gouging out my eyes.  Actually, it's been pretty easy.  I haven't been able to make any major purchases, like new stamps or whatever, but because I am focusing on using what I have, I haven't really missed that.  I actually plan to continue the tight budget, with perhaps minor alterations, indefinitely!
Next purchases: baby wipes (for cleaning stamps) and double sided tape!
  • Do something creative every week.
I have succeeded in this one also.  I have to say this is probably the longest I have gone where I have regularly kept up the creative energies.  If anything I have succeeded too well . . . I didn't know at the start of the year that I would be starting an on-line TAFE course this year.  Because there is no face-to-face teaching, you can work at your own pace.  Turns out that without deadlines to work to, my pace is approximately that of a snail.  I am considering changing the name of my blog to "Spend Less, Study More, Hopefully still get some craft done".  Seriously though, I need to devote more time to my studies this term. I plan to timetable some TAFE time in my diary each week, then mark it off in half hour blocks.  I will ONLY be able to get into the craft room if I am up to date on my TAFE hours for the week!
  • Have a smaller stash at the end of the year
At this point I would have to say the biggest difference has been to my patterned paper (the unused sheets that is).  As for the offcuts, well without getting out the scales again it's hard to say, but I seem to create them at least as fast as I use them.  Perhaps some more scraps challenges are in order . . .
As for the embellishments, according to my tally, I have used ribbon in 42 projects, but do you think I can tell the difference?  Stickers, I can probably tell the difference a bit more so, especially in those letter stickers where I have started using the negative.  Again, I'd love to challenge myself to use some of the lesser used embellishments if I can find the time.
But overall, a big tick for the year so far . . .
 And because I don't feel like finishing up this post without some pictures, here is some (hopefully) inspiration for hand-made journalling- and title-blocks.



No comments:

Post a Comment