Thursday, January 5, 2012

How much does your cardstock weigh now?

If you've been reading since the beginning, then you'll know that a  year ago I decided to reign in my craft spending.  Here were my three goals:
  • limit spending to $5 per week, or a total of $260 for the year (considering the huge amounts of craft supplies I have loaded up in my room that really should be plenty)
  • and try and create something (scrapbook page, card or whatever) at least weekly
  • to have a smaller stash by the end of the year.
I quickly expanded those goals to the following (see original post here):
  • update this blog regularly
  • do something creative every week
  • complete at least 2 challenges a month
  • complete a scrapbook page a week (single or double)
  • work through my "projects" box with the aim of completing each item or considering getting rid of it.
  • knit my way through my wool stash 
  • make a list of my scrapbooking supplies (by group) and mark each time I use each item
  • be prepared to cull unused items, and 
  • weigh my cardstock, and compare in 12 months.
So, how did I go?
  • update this blog regularly
At 80 posts in 2011, I think that counts as pretty successful!
  • do something creative every week
Again, with a total of 133 scrapbook pages and 16 recorded "other" projects, a resounding success!
  • complete at least 2 challenges a month
Some months I managed 7 or 8!
  • complete a scrapbook page a week (single or double) 
see above!
  • work through my "projects" box with the aim of completing each item or considering getting rid of it.
not so successful.  I did complete one sewing project and do a little bit on another, but paper-crafts have definitely taken precedence this last year.
  • knit my way through my wool stash 
Again, less than fabulous.  I did knit some scarves and start a jumper for Maddy, but mainly I learnt the pointlessness of having a wool stash.  I hope to use and/or cull some more this year
  • make a list of my scrapbooking supplies (by group) and mark each time I use each item
I definitely kept my list, and enjoyed marking it off at the completion of each project.  But I'll tell you a secret: I still have a lot of stuff!  For example, I can tell you that I recorded that I used ribbon in 75 projects, but see that box of ribbon that is my wallpaper?  It still looks pretty much the same.  And there are 3 other boxes with more ribbon in them!
  • be prepared to cull unused items, 
I still have my "use it or lose it" box of papers, and I'm hoping to have a swap/give-away day after school goes back this year.  
  • weigh my cardstock, and compare in 12 months.

I totally couldn't wait to get the results on this one . . . last year's total was 21.58kg (including some storage boxes).  That is now down to (drum roll please) 17.69kg, a reduction of nearly 4kg!
The amount of offcuts has increased slightly, with the most dramatic decrease being sheets of patterned paper.
  • limit spending to $5 per week
I did it! (with the help of a few presents, not least of which being my Silhouette) I did it! I actually have $13.50 left over which is totally burning a hole in my pocket right now . . .

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blogs. You remind me of the me I want to be. You sound so organized..or at least nearly there. :)
    Speaking of culling though, do you use copics? I have 2 that are not being used at all. I bought them not realizing what kind of paper they needed to be used. I believe they are 000 and 003..the blender and tan. Or if you know anyone who uses them? I just don't want to throw them away because they are so expensive. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brook, Thanks so much for your comment! I actually don't use copics - I've avoided even finding out about them as I had about a squillion Marvy Markers I don't use often enough and expect they will dry out before I get my "money's worth" out of them! Hope you find someone who will use them!

      Delete