Friday, October 21, 2011

A less literal interpretation . . .

I've been pretty proud of myself this year, feeling like I am exploring new avenues of creativity, taking inspiration from all sorts of places, but I've recently made an unpleasant discovery:

sometimes I'm too literal.
It's true.  And here's proof.  I came across this beautiful inspiration piece from Scrapbook Boutique:

 I thought, OK, that's easy.  I imagined a black card, with a white paper flower, a black button centre and silver rhinestones around the outside.  And that was fine, until I did their blog hop and saw what the DT had come up with.  Oh.  That was when it hit me.  Like my less than satisfactory CC September round robin page, I  don't seem to kow the difference between "inspiration" and "copying". 
Would my idea have been a nice card? Sure.  Creative? Not so much.
Here is the card I finally came up with:



I was originally going for elegant bling, but the holographic silver paper (which actually came from some packaging) meant it turned out more disco bling!

This layout is one I did for Lets Scrap challenge 117.  They gave you a list of embellishments to try, and I chose to make my flags (or banners) out of fabric:


And here's that literal thing again: I kept worrying that I didn't have all the elements - and in the same spot - as on the sketch.  Hang on, whose page is this anyway? Eventually I turned the sketch over and refused to look at it any more!  The photos are in the same place as on the sketch, and I used the idea of the banners and the circle elements, but I have moved things around a bit to work for me. 
I felt that the red of my banner was a bit bright, so I splashed a bit of white and orange paint over it to soften it a bit.  then I splashed some more paint around the edge of the page.  That's what my kitchen looks like at the end of a cooking session, after all!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Julie, fabulous take on this months SBB challenge! There are so many ways to create flowers for our papercraft these days.......I really like how you made yours it looks good from every angle! Fabulous scrapbook page too....love your banners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea with the recycling of the packaging!
    I love your flower too- gorgeous!
    Thanks for taking the scrapbook boutique challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card was definitely inspired! Love how you created that wonderful flower and the added ribbons are perfect! Thanks for joining us at Scrapbook Boutique!

    ReplyDelete